Friday, September 28, 2012

 PIzZa
Yummmmmmmy!!

Every Friday my family does Pizza and Movie Night.  With me not working now though, our regular Domino's Pizza delivery is just out of our budget. So, as Friday approached this week, rather than just sigh and make something else I decided to try and make pizza from scratch myself!  It turns out that the ingredients needed to make my own pizza sauce and dough and toppings for SIX medium FIVE topping pizzas with three cheeses was the same price we ended up paying for four ONE topping pizzas with ONE cheese from Dominos.  Also, my family swears mine are better tasting too :)
I got the recipes for the pizza dough and the pizza sauce here.  
I did change a couple things though: I didn't use pesto (I don't like it) and I bought regular pork sausage and added my own paprika and garlic salt to it when I cooked it. That way I got five pounds of sausage for the same price of one-two pounds of Italian sausage. Turned out great! 

 Getting the pizza dough stretched out was not nearly as hard as I had expected (wasn't hard at all)

I was able to portion out my ingredients and froze the rest of my vegetables, sauce and meat. I blanched the veggies I had cut and then put in airtight baggies and I portioned out the sauce and meat into freezer bags.
Next week's pizzas (and the next and the next) will be quick!
 
Really put a fair amount of the corn meal on your transfer board or that dough really sticks.
 Mmmmmmmmmmmm
 Finished pizza. 

Another thing I did that the recipe didn't call for was to add some garlic powder to my olive oil that I brushed on the dough. I LOVE the garlicy crust taste from Domino's so I had to have it on my own as well.

I hope this inspires you!

Anyone have their own pizza making ideas or tips??

2 comments:

  1. Winco has little pre-portioned bags of pizza dough for about $1.50 next to the cheeses. I used those and it made homemade pizza that much faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just told that Trader Joe's has the same deal there. Of course, Winco is probably cheaper! :)

    ReplyDelete